Tuesday 21 January 2014

A Personal Interview


Alan’s Interview with an Anonymous Participant at the Recovery College:

What is your diagnosis and how do you feel about it?
Schizophrenia and OCD. I prefer not to think about it because it makes it worse when I think about it. 
How long have you suffered from mental illness?
Around 18-23 years.
How do you manage on a daily basis?
Sometimes I find it difficult to manage but I try to concentrate on what I am doing at the time.
Have you thought about telling your story to the public (anonymously or otherwise)?
I come from a South Asian background and mental health is seen as a NO GO AREA so I just keep it to myself.
What advice would you give to someone else with a mental illness? What have you found most helpful?
Take it day by day. If you are having trouble find a friend or someone you can trust to tell what you are going through. Make sure you ask them to keep it to themselves. 
What are your hopes for the future?
To deal with it better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment